Thursday, June 12, 2014

More WWE Superstars Released

In addition to those I listed earlier, the WWE announced the release of these Superstars:
  • Drew McIntyre
  • Jinder Mahal
  • Curt Hawkins
  • Aksana
  • Marc Harris (referee)

Honestly, I'm surprised Zack Ryder wasn't on this list.

Only one of these releases really bothered me.

Jinder Mahal never really hit his stride in the WWE. He was meant to be a master heel when he debuted, an Indian superstar who could make even the Great Khali, just past the height of his power, tremble in his presence. That never panned out. He turned into a joke, teaming with Heath Slater (who should have been released) and Drew McIntyre (who shouldn't have been released) to form 3MB.

Curt Hawkins only had his highs as part of the Edge/Vicki Guerrero "family" stable. He and Zack Ryder played a pair of fake-Edge bodies who tormented the Undertaker in their debut to guarantee Edge's title victory. He and Zack won tag-team gold under the family's tutelage. Curt was never the same when that angle ended. He tried other teams, but nothing he did amounted to much.

Aksana wasn't a wrestler. She was a fitness model with physical prowess but little in-ring ability. She won't be missed by many.

I don't remember Marc Harris. I guess that's as much an indictment as anything.


But Drew McIntyre's release is a mistake. He had in-ring ability. He had mic skills. He had the look. He had one of the most disturbing theme songs in the history of the WWE. I don't know what happened, but he fell a long way quickly. He went from the "Chosen One" to a 3MB joke in a short time. I will miss Drew McIntyre and his Broken Dreams.

What's next? Dolph Ziggler? Damien Sandow? Kofi Kingston? Obviously I'm just one fan, but some of these decisions confuse me to no end.

Again, we wish them well in their future endeavors.


EDIT TO ADD:

One more release:
  • JTG

I liked JTG, but there wasn't a whole lot of alteration to his gimmick over the years. He certainly had in-ring talent, but that's pretty much all he had. Good luck, man. And say hi to the Brawler if you see him around Brooklyn.

2 comments:

  1. Most of them will end up in TNA, don't worry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I don't watch it, that doesn't help me much. But I'll be happy if they get work.

    ReplyDelete